The Clickinks Blog | Ink Poisoning: Is your beloved family member at risk

Ink Poisoning: Is your beloved family member at risk

Ink Poisoning: Is your beloved family member at risk?

How many of you have a treasured K-9 companion? Here is some information that you need to know about ink poisoning. Dogs are curious creatures by nature, and they love to explore their environments. Unfortunately these explorations consist of sniffing and licking everything, even if it may prove to be harmful to them.  As a responsible dog owner we need to dog proof our homes like we would do for a baby.  Beware of some of the signs that could indicate ingestion of poisonous substance and what to do in case of emergency.

Ink ingredients

The ingredients in ink are a mixture of dyes and pigments, water and solvents. These ingredients are nonpoisonous if ingested in small amounts. If your dog chews on a pen, marker or empty cartridge, you will be relieved to know that there is no immediate cause to be alarmed.

Signs and Symptoms

Accidental ingestion of ink may not have any signs or symptoms besides the ink stains that are on the dog’s coat. You should still watch for other signs of ink poisoning such as vomiting, diarrhea, irritation around mouth and eyes, agitation, drooling, staggering, seizures or difficult breathing.

What to do

If you suspect your dog has ingested ink but isn’t showing any of the signs, just keep the dog under observation and contact your vet as soon as possible. If there isn’t any sign of illness then a trip to the vet may not even be necessary, but you should contact your vet for some professional advice or you may get in touch with your animal poison control at 888-426-4435 or
http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/ .  If your dog is losing consciousness or is unconscious, having seizures or difficulties breathing please take your dog to the vet or emergency clinic immediately.

First-Aid

If your dog has gotten ink on him or her fur, clean the dogs coat with mild dishwasher fluid this will prevent him or her licking him or herself. Your vet may give your dog activated charcoal hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting if needed.

Prevention

To prevent your dog from getting ink poisoning in the first place, please keep your dog’s environment neat, clean and safe. Teaching your dog the common command of “leave it” can also help prevent an accident.

Add comment



  Country flag
biuquote
  • Comment
  • Preview
Loading