The Clickinks Blog | Ink poisoning: Can it happen and who is at risk

Ink poisoning: Can it happen and who is at risk

12. January 2011 06:00 by Danielle Bernhard in recycle cartridges, ink poisoning, inks, recycle  //  Tags:   //   Comments (0)
I’m here today to dispel an urban legend about ink poisoning. Today’s inks are not poisonous and it would take a very large amount to cause any harm to a human. There are other residents in many homes that we are going to discuss today. Cats and dogs are our four-legged family members that theoretically could be at risk. This is largely due to their lower body weight and naturally curious nature.

We’ve all been surprised at one point of time as to what our pets have gotten into. While the amount of ink that they could possibly ingest should not be harmful, you should be vigilant if they manage to chew on an ink cartridge or pen. They also are at risk of intestinal blockage or chocking on any plastic pieces they may have chewed off.

Unless you catch your pet in the act, you would probably have no idea that they ever did anything. Aside from the tell tale signs of finding an ink stained French poodle. If you think your pet may have come in contact with ink, you need to stay vigilant. Look for indicators of poisoning like agitation, drooling, staggering, seizures, vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, and irritation around the mouth and/or eyes.

If the pet has ingested ink and appears fine, keep a vigilant eye on it and contact your veterinarian at your earliest convenience. If all is well, a trip to visit the vet may not be needed. You can also contact the Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435 or http://aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/.

If you find ink has gotten on your pets fur, the best method for cleaning it up is using a mild dishwashing liquid detergent. This will keep the pet from trying to lick it off and also keeping it from staining anything in your home. Do not try to induce vomiting unless your veterinarian tells you to do so.

We all know that prevention is the best cure, so keep your and your pet’s environment clean and neat so there isn’t a chance for it to ingest a non-food item. Also don’t throw those printer cartridges in the trash, help save the environment by recycling them. The more we can keep out of the landfills, the greener the future for our pet’s future.

Add comment



  Country flag
biuquote
  • Comment
  • Preview
Loading