The Clickinks Blog | Lexmark Firmware update - Don't do it

Lexmark Firmware update - Don't do it

6. January 2011 06:00 by Danielle Bernhard in firmware, OEM, compatible ink, lexmark, driver, 100xl  //  Tags:   //   Comments (38)
Recently Lexmark developed a new firmware and uploaded this new firmware on their website. Lexmark has been asking customers to download their new firmware and install it on their computer. Their new firmware has been tested and unfortunately it looks like the intention of the new firmware is to prevent customers from using compatible Lexmark 100xl inkjet cartridges.  We suggest that you do not download and install new firmware from Lexmark's website unless you want to be restricted to the higher priced OEM cartridges. If you already downloaded and installed the new Lexmark firmware and I trying to use compatible ink cartridges, you should remove all Lexmark firmware and reinstall the previous version of your software from the original CD that came with your printer.

Compatible ink cartridge manufacturers are working feverishly on new chips now, and they will be available at Clickinks as soon as made available.

Clickinks compatible 100XL ink cartridges start at $7.95 and OEMs start at $23.95.

Some of the printer models affected include:

Lexmark Impact S300

Lexmark S405
Lexmark Interpret S405
Lexmark S505
Lexmark Institution S505
Lexmark S605
Lexmark Interact S605

*UPDATE: In an effort to keep up with the newest Lexmark firmware, Clickinks.com now has a new version of the 100xl cartridge that will work even if you have updated.  Keep in mind that other suppliers may not yet have the latest micro chips.

Comments (38) -

1/7/2011 11:21:21 PM #

I tried uninstalling the software and reinstalled using the CD but it didn't work. I asked my friend who's an IT manager and he said that reinstalling the software wouldn't get rid of the firmware update. The firmware update is inside the printer. It's the program that controls the printer. The CD only contains the driver for the printer that will allow you to print/scan from your computer.

1/10/2011 3:52:48 PM #

unfortunately i read your posting too late and already updated my pro 705 to the latest firmware.
the result: my compatible ink cartridges are suddenly not authenticated and the printer doesn't work anymore.

i didn't find a way to remove the firmware.
do you know how to do it?
i tried to install a older firmware over the new firmware, but it always says, that no older firmware can be installed.

1/10/2011 4:45:50 PM #

Well where in hell do you find a Firmware update that is installed on the computer???
Any idea of what you do?

1/10/2011 6:42:40 PM #

How do I delete new firmware? I called Lexmark and of course they play clueless and say it cannot be done. Please help
jasonpbaxter@gmail.com

Clickinks
Clickinks
1/11/2011 3:28:52 PM #

Yes if you have not already, please see the warnings, don't update your firmware at this time.

If you have already updated, the only suggestion I have to try is to Completely uninstall your printer by removing device from the control panel. Also remove anything else associated with Lexmark.  Once you have assured everything has been wiped then you should be able to install your previous cd.

Agent 485
Agent 485
1/12/2011 1:55:00 PM #

There really is no way to downgrade the firmware in the Lexmark printer once it is updated.

(I work for Lexmark but the comments here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Lexmark International, Inc.)

1/20/2011 7:35:06 PM #

how did you find out that you needed to update your firmware?

Danielle Bernhard
Danielle Bernhard
1/20/2011 7:59:46 PM #

Your printer manufacturer will install an update, or ask you to install an update, depending on your settings.  The notification will appear at the the taskbar in the bottom of your window.  You can always check to see what the update includes, and choose to decline.

1/20/2011 11:09:53 PM #

Before downloading the update, does Lexmark tell you that you won't be able to use compatible cartridges anymore?

Danielle Bernhard
Danielle Bernhard
1/21/2011 2:21:06 PM #

No Lexmark would not warn you that they are blocking compatible alternatives.

1/22/2011 3:16:39 PM #

This is absolutely consumer abuse and attempted monopoly!  I have not used this printer that I received as a gift a year ago and finally just spent $60 on two sets of ink replacements.  Was printing beautifully for a week and was installing the printer on an additional laptop when I updated the firmware. Now I can’t use my printer!!!!!  And have $60 of useless ink!  Why?????? This is an outrage and will never purchase a Lexmark again and will sell or reject a Lexmark printer as a gift!  How can they get away with this! What a POS!

1/22/2011 6:43:55 PM #

I was able to remove the rfid chip on top of the lexmark ink cartridge and tape it to the top of the replacement cartridge I have. This allowed the printer to think it had a lexmark cartridge installed. I had to remove the chip on top of the replacement cartridge first, however. KP

1/24/2011 7:24:37 PM #

and did that work for you ?

1/25/2011 1:32:40 PM #

worked for me this morning. unsure as to how long the cart will last as ink levels are shown from the old cart! Binfer

1/25/2011 1:54:59 PM #

I have made contact with Lexmark and shall be contacting trading standards to see what action i can take. the following is a copy of the text.

Today I have found out that the previous firmware update has rendered my 'compatible' cartridges useless. Since home printing has been made available there has been compatible or refilled cartridges made by 3rd parties and the owners of these printers are aware that using such cartridges may invalidate any warranty. I accepted the last firmware update in good faith assuming that a fault was being rectified, as no information was given as to the 'fixes', I find now that the update has basically taken away my choice to use compatible carts and Leaves Lexmark in a somewhat akward legal position so far as competition laws are concerned. I eagerly await a further firmware update to remove this restriction but in the meantime I shall be passing this information on to the relevant authorities.

Binfer

1/25/2011 10:52:59 PM #

Thank goodness i found this out, i bought my printer about 1 week ago and have gone through 3 original cartridges, i found compatible cartridges on what aapears to be a uk version of this site (internet-inks.co.uk) and have been scratching my head all day.

In my opinion there will be a way to downgrade whether lexmark know it or not. unfortunately as this is not as wide spread of a product (unlike iphone for example) there will be nobody working on a fix for this.

Fingers crossed Binfer hears something soon coz i bought this to print out a few e-books and it will end up being very expensive!!!

Danielle Bernhard
Danielle Bernhard
1/26/2011 2:16:16 PM #

While Clickinks.com serves US & Canada, we do recommend Printerinks.com if you are in the UK. Hopefully more will see this and not upgrade firmware. Thanks.

1/26/2011 6:31:01 PM #

I am a paralegal at a law firm that is investigating Lexmark’s firmware upgrade and how it may constitute an unfair business practice.  We are researching a number of issues related to the firmware upgrade, and we would love to hear about people’s experiences.  We are interested in talking to anyone who can help in our research.  Here is a link to the page on our website dedicated to this issue:  http://bit.ly/grziVb

Reman Man
Reman Man
1/27/2011 1:15:21 AM #

As many industries are being reformed, some are choosing litigation rather than evolution. Lexmark should ask the recording industry how that's going for them.

1/27/2011 8:24:02 AM #

I upgraded the firmware and can confirm that I cannot use compatible Lexmark 100xl inkjet cartridges anymore. My dealer kindly refunded me and said that he contacted his supplier and indeed they seem to be aware of the problem now. I looked for ways to downgrade the firmware on the web but was not successful so far. If anyone finds a solution please post it!

1/29/2011 8:29:18 AM #

I also read this warning too late.  Now I have two sets of useless ink cartridges for a Lexmark S505.  Anybody need a boat anchor?

scottcaniglia@hotmail.com

Reino
Reino
2/9/2011 3:25:29 AM #

I also read this to late. I have three 100X cartridges that are useless, and a printer which I am about ready to through out the window.

If there are ANY developments on this topic please post here.

jmdubya
jmdubya
2/18/2011 9:29:38 PM #

Too bad they decided to get greedy by screwing their customers over via this blatant act of *here... download this firmware - it will 'enhance your -unbroken as of now- Lexmark printer*.

30 minutes later: *surprise - now your 3rd party ink won't work with our printer*!

JUST imagine if say... some in the auto industry did something like this - "BMW just announced today that their cars will only accept certified/genuine BMW brand oil/oil filters etc. - and if you don't comply, your BMW will be rendered UNDRIVEABLE!!!!

Hmmmmm...  this is the last Lexmark printer I will own - regardless if they actually end up 'fixing' all the printers they have broken!!

HP/KODAK/CANON - show me your offering(s)!

Lee
Lee
2/24/2011 6:44:37 PM #

If anyone hears of a solution, or further firmware upgrade that resolves this issue...please post here.

js
js
3/4/2011 6:26:19 PM #

this type of behavior is anti-competitive and abuses lexmarks rights and trust they have in the consumer market

if GM makes a car...and requires that you use only GM parts...they are obligated to provide that product to you for free...its already settled law...these people must accept the fact that consumers have a right to chose who to source parts from so the market remains competitive...they have no choice..

we need a lawsuit against lexmark to force them into submitting to established law...the behavior they practice is illegal...and forces high priced products that only feeds the greedy corporation...while it walks on our right to a fair price for a fair product...

Roman
Roman
3/5/2011 6:25:26 AM #

PLEASE SOMEONE POST AN OLD FIRMWARE !! OR A "HACKED" FIRMWARE or just UNINSTALL this crap of firmware.. this is so crazy I just WASTED money on OEM ink that i just bought and it doesnt work now.. dam !! Frown

PAT
PAT
3/7/2011 11:42:52 PM #

According to my background, Computer Science, it is almost impossible to remove the firmware inside printer hardware. Maybe their firmware will be installed from computer to printer through connecting cable. The firmware will be located inside chip (it will be CMOS ic chip inside printer). If we delete this firmware, we need to RESET this chip manually. normally IC has lots of connecting pins to connect each circuit. Connect this RESET pin to GROUND. Then the firmware will be RESET. However, nobody knows this chip and the description of each pins of this chip. If somebody knows this Chip and Spec of Chip, I will try and let you know. I also have same problem in my printer, PRO 705 Model and Upset to Lexmark.

jgentes
jgentes
3/9/2011 5:50:05 PM #

I recommend we all flame their Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/LexmarkNews?sk=wall

jgentes
jgentes
3/11/2011 4:29:39 PM #

LEXMARK IS RESPONDING ON THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE - PLEASE EVERYONE JUMP IN AND HELP VOICE YOUR OPINIONS!

Danielle Bernhard
Danielle Bernhard
3/11/2011 4:39:06 PM #

Yes they have said that you have the choice to return your printer at point of purchase or deny the firmware update. They also state the update warns you of the change.

Reino
Reino
3/11/2011 6:58:24 PM #

This is what I am posting in Facebook. I am going to try and get the word out.

####################################
Do NOT buy a LEXMARK printer! They just robbed their customers by making all third party ink cartage brake the printer so that it can do NOTHING until all LEXMARK ink is installed. This is like buying a car that only takes Nissan oil, and Nissan gas. Please pass this on, so that people do not make the mistake of buying a lexmark.
###################################

It seems as though their excuse is that "Apple does it".

MVL
MVL
3/31/2011 1:35:20 AM #

Just swapped out the old RFID chips from my original cartridges to the new aftermarket cartridges and they seem to work but ink shows low so we'll see how long this works...

Ace24
Ace24
4/1/2011 12:58:08 AM #

Damn I really really wish I saw this website before I upgraded... I will never buy another Lexmark product ever again

MVL
MVL
4/2/2011 2:42:46 PM #

Well the RFID chips work but now it says that all My ink is out and needs to be replaced. I'm buying a new printer today and returning My old one in the box lol. SCREW YOU LEXMARK Smile

Danielle Bernhard
Danielle Bernhard
4/5/2011 10:55:02 PM #

*UPDATE: In an effort to keep up with the newest Lexmark firmware, Clickinks.com now has a new version of the 100xl cartridge that will work even if you have updated.  Keep in mind that other suppliers may not yet have the latest micro chips.

Jeff Greatorex
Jeff Greatorex
4/7/2011 5:48:18 AM #

I too read this to late. Very upset about having to throw away a perfectly good printer. I will make it my mission to let everyone know to NEVER buy any product from Lexmark. In all my years of dealing with high tech stuff I have never felt so bent over.

Rubynium
Rubynium
4/8/2011 10:09:26 AM #

I discovered the firmware update fraud today. Did anyone find a solution to reset the bios or fix the problem? I have a new XL pack of compatible cartridges not recognised and now cannot use the printer. Please post it!

Chris
Chris
4/20/2011 1:23:32 AM #

Well I am glad I am not alone. I am P O and I think we SHOULD start a class action suite against lexmark. Include me in @ 1fastmaverick@comcast.net

Country flag