Did you know the drum unit of your laser printer is separate from the toner cartridge? Like the toner, it occasionally needs replacing – at which time your printer LCD display may read ‘Change Drum Soon.’ However, if your printer doesn’t have an LCD display, you’ll know the drum unit needs replacing when prints have thick black spots, become blurry, or print out lighter than normal.
To replace the drum unit of your laser printer, please follow these simple steps:
1) If you’ve recently done printing, let the machine cool down. It gets hot!
2) Handle the drum carefully. It holds ink that can splatter!
3) Open the printer’s front cover.
4) If your laser printer
includes a drum lever, flip it so that it’s vertical.
5) Pull the drum unit and toner cartridge
assembly from the printer with the handle.
6) Hold the lock lever down on the assembly and remove the toner bin.
7) Take the new drum unit and remove the protective sheet.
8) Reinstall the toner cartridge into your new drum unit by sliding into place. If installed correctly, the lock lever will lift easily.
9) Slide your new assembly into the laser printer. It should snap into place.
10) Close the drum lock lever, if your laser printer comes equipped with one.
11) Close the top cover.
12) If your printer has an LCD display, press ‘Options’ then ‘Yes’ to ‘Replace Drum.’
13) Once the laser printer has finished recognizing the drum unit, you’re ready to print!
The old drum unit should be placed in a plastic bag. After that it can be recycled.